Think gapped teeth can only affect the way you look? Think again. Besides preventing you from smiling confidently, the gaps between teeth are known to increase your risk of tooth decay, gum disease and a host of other oral and overall health problems. Let’s understand the causes, its impact and the treatment options available.
What Are the Causes?
Gaps between teeth can either happen during childhood when they may correct themselves or during adulthood.
Let’s take a look at some of the general causes:
- Missing Teeth – when you lose a tooth or teeth the formation of a gap is obvious. If the lost tooth is permanent, the gap remains empty and provides room for other teeth to become misaligned.
- Trauma – Facial trauma may lead to gaps in between your teeth over a period of time.
- Genetic – In some cases due to hereditary reasons, children inherit widely spaced teeth. Some races are predisposed to a gap between the incisors.
How Do Gapped Teeth Affect Oral and Overall Health?
Oral Health Issues
Wide open tooth gaps in your mouth provide ideal breeding grounds for harmful bacteria. These can be difficult to eliminate with normal brushing alone. These bacteria begin to eat away the teeth surface causing cavities. Cavities if left untreated for long may eventually result in tooth loss. Other oral problems include bad breath and painful mouth sores.
Overall Health Issues
Gapped teeth majorly increase the chances of oral infections. The American Dental Association has conducted several studies which show that oral infections if left untreated can cause heart diseases. Also, the excessive harmful bacteria in mouth increase your risk of stroke or enter your blood stream through saliva and cause pneumonia.
One of the causes for gaps between your teeth is a misaligned bite that causes your teeth to shift out of place. People with crooked bites tend to experience long-term pain that affects their jaw, ears, and forehead. You may also find that your teeth hit with too much force on certain surfaces. This can lead to problems further down the road such as chipped teeth or worn down areas that are more vulnerable to sensitivity. When large gaps or a misaligned bite is determined to be the source of your facial pain, Invisalign can help get your teeth into the proper places for giving you relief.
Increases tooth wear: Gapped teeth are often misaligned and can rub against each other and damage the tooth enamel and the whole tooth. This condition can cause painful toothaches.
What Are the Orthodontic Treatment Options?
Orthodontists provide you the perfect treatment options for correcting tooth gaps and crooked teeth. Depending on your requirement, you may be suggested any of the following:
- Traditional metal braces – They are stainless steel brackets which are interconnected with wires which gradually shift the teeth in their correct position.
- Ceramic braces – These are similar to the traditional braces except that they are made from ceramic. They can be colored to match your natural teeth color which makes them less noticeable.
- Damon braces – They comprise of brackets, wire and sliders. They require fewer adjustments and their design reduces the chances of food debris getting stuck.
- Lingual braces – The brackets, wires and elastic bands are mounted on the back side of teeth. However, they are comparatively more expensive and are harder to clean.
- Invisalign – These aligners are made from clear plastic. They are custom made to fit snugly over your teeth and are easily removable.
If you are looking for an orthodontist in Fresno CA to successfully treat you or anyone you know for gapped teeth, contact us at Thurman Orthodontics now.