Invisalign is a kind of orthodontic treatment that realigns and straightens teeth without the use of metal braces. The treatment involves wearing custom-made clear plastic aligners that shift your teeth to the proper position.
To give you the optimal experience they have to be cared for properly. Invisalign is worn 22 hours a day. This means the system requires proper cleaning and care.
Invisalign cleaning crystals are an effective way to thoroughly clean your aligner without any hassles.
Why use Invisalign cleaning crystals?
- Sanitize the system during regular use
- Cleaning your aligners keeps them invisible. Using Invisalign over braces gives you the advantage of subtlety. Regular cleaning helps maintain this advantage
- Food particles can get stuck in your retainers. This can cause bacteria to spread. Cleaning Invisalign helps to kill bacteria that get trapped in the crevices
- Prevents the development of plaque on your aligners
- If bacteria spread in your mouth you are also prone to gum disease. Cleaning crystals help protect you from these
- Keeps your teeth bright and gives you a dazzling smile
- Aligners get stained if you don’t clean them. Invisalign cleaning crystals keep them transparent and bright
- Prevent bad breath from buildup of food debris and keeps mouth smelling fresh
Steps to use the cleaning crystals
- Pre-rinse your aligner with lukewarm water to remove leftover food debris
- Fill your Invisalign cleaning cup with lukewarm water to fully submerge your aligners
- Empty the packet of crystals into the cup
- Place the aligners in the solution
- Let them soak for about 15 minutes and then remove them
- Take the aligners out of the cup
- Rinse them with lukewarm water properly, so that no crystals are stuck on the aligners
- Take a soft toothbrush, brush and rinse the aligners under tap water to remove any debris still stuck to them
- Give a final rinse in warm water
- Dry them
- Place them in the case to dry.
They are now ready to wear.
Some general tips to keep aligners clean
- Clean your Invisalign twice a day. In the morning before you put them on and in the evening after you take them off. This will help prevent the buildup of germs and bacteria.
- Another tip to cleaning Invisalign is to take your retainers off before eating. Otherwise, the food and beverages you consume can stain and damage your aligners. It is possible that food particles get stuck in your trays like they would in your teeth. Overtime these particles can transfer to your gums and teeth leading to the buildup of plaque. If left unattended this plaque can harden and become tartar. If you don’t get a professional’s help to remove tartar you could develop gingivitis. This can deteriorate your gum health over time. Instead of dealing with this hassle, make sure to remove your trays while eating or drinking.
- Make sure you keep your trays in a case when not in use. This will protect them from damage and keep them safe from bacteria.
- Add flossing to your brushing routine for extra oral care. This will help keep your teeth clean and your aligners clear and bright.
- Another good way to keep your aligners clean is to soak them. This protects them from E. Coli, Candida, Strep, and Staph.
8 Braces Cleaning Tips for Healthy Teeth & Bright Smile
Now you know all about Invisalign care! Keep those aligners clean without stress or hassle.
Dr. Brian Thurman has spent his entire life enjoying all the beauty that California has to offer. A Fresno native, he still escapes to the ocean or the mountains whenever his busy schedule allows. Driven by his love for natural beauty, Dr. Thurman enjoys creating beautiful smiles and healthy bites that last a lifetime. He is proud to be the only Ivy League trained Orthodontist in the Fresno/Clovis area.